Let’s share some sales talk over coffee, shall we?
So, this is a new series I’m starting, and it’s focused on answering the questions that you have. And to kick this off, I’m going to start with the topic of hesitant homeowners.
In fact, this topic was inspired by a roofing sales rep who emailed asking how to get past that homeowner’s hesitation even when:
- The homeowner seems to LOVE everything.
- They tell you something like, “Thanks for coming out. We liked everything you showed us. We really like you.”
I know this type of hesitation, and it kind of piggybacks off one of my previous videos (They “Liked You” But Did NOT Buy From You?). So, what’s REALLY going on here?
How can someone like you, thank you for coming out, and then get stuck in this place of indecision and hesitation?
We’re going to answer that question here, so you’ll know exactly:
- Why this is happening
- What you can do to prevent it from happening again
Before we get to that, though, I just want to say a quick welcome or welcome back. My name is Adam Bensman, The Roof Strategist, and I appreciate you being here.
Everything I do here — and on my YouTube channel and in my all-in-one sales training, sales strategy, and sales system, the Roofing Sales Success Formula & Complete Sales Strategy — is designed to help you and your team smash your income goals and give every customer an amazing experience.
And to give people an amazing experience, we have to win their business.
So, let’s get to it.
FREE “Pitch” Like a Pro Roofing Sales Training
240+ Video Library for Storm and Retail
For Roofing Sales Reps & Owners With New Hires: All the training you need to be a “million dollar” closer!Get Instant Access
Why Do Homeowners Hesitate in Roofing Sales?
To really understand this, I want you to think back to middle school.
Back in those days, I was in the same math class four years in a row. When I understand something in that math class, I’d immediately raise my hand — and the teacher would keep talking for like 5 more minutes before calling on me.
So, I’d have to ask for the earlier concept to be explained, so I could get up to speed.
Now, whenever that has happened to you, did you retain ANYTHING?
In all likelihood, anything you didn’t understand probably fell on deaf ears.
And the same thing happens with your customers when they have questions that aren’t answered.
In fact, we will NEVER EVER get to a “Yes” if those questions remain unanswered.
That’s one of the reasons why I teach roofing sales reps to close with certain questions in my program, the Roofing Sales Success Formula & Complete Sales Strategy.
By the way, that’s available for you and your team, and it’s currently being used by many thousands of people in both storm and retail roofing sales in every single state in the U.S., from tiny companies to quite a few of the top 100 roofing companies.
The way I teach reps to close is to tee up these two questions:
- Do you have any questions for me so far?
- Does all of this make sense?
The reason we ask those before we close is to draw out any questions they may have.
After all, you and I know that there’s ZERO chance of getting the homeowner to say ‘yes’ if they still have any questions.
When Homeowners Don’t Know What to Ask
Now, let’s say you’ve answered ALL of a homeowner’s questions, and they STILL tell you something like:
- We need to think about it.
- We’ll call you in a few days.
- We really liked you, but we chose someone else.
That’s happening because the homeowner has questions that they are not fully aware of.
Well, homeowners may not be sure about what happens next, so they don’t know what to even ask you about. That’s why I teach roofing sales reps to explain the WHOLE process to homeowners, including (but not limited to) what happens:
- After they give you the check
- After they sign the contingency agreement
- When the materials are delivered
- How and when the house is prepped for work
- What happens during the actual construction process
The point is that we can get so focused on trying to resolve their front-end, immediate needs that we can skip some of these key points.
And I’ve found that A LOT of folks ended up hesitant and indecisive because they simply didn’t understand what was going to happen next.
Example: Let’s say you visit a knee surgeon to treat a torn ACL. The surgeon tells you that you need surgery right away, assuring you that he’ll do an absolutely awesome job because he’s been doing this for a while. Then, you see a second surgeon for a second opinion. The second surgeon tells you all of the same stuff the first one does, BUT (s)he also tells you what’s going to happen. In fact, that second surgeon explains what’s going to happen with the anesthesia, how the procedure works, and what occurs during the entire recovery process. (S)he shares details about what it’s going to take to regain your range of motion and restrengthen your knee, clarifying that it’s probably going to take about 12 weeks to recover.
Which doctor would you choose? The second one, right?
In fact, you’d choose the second doctor because:
- (S)he explained everything, putting you at ease.
- (S)he made you feel more comfortable and confident in their ability to do their job and take care of you.
- You TRUST that second doctor more to take better care of you.
And that’s what it all comes down to in roofing sales — taking care of our customers.
Recap: How to Overcome Homeowner Hesitation in Roofing Sales
Summing this all up, the reason that homeowners are hesitant — even when they like you — is that:
- They have questions you did not answer: Maybe you went in for the close before you asked questions. This can also happen if you don’t explain the process enough, detailing what happens next.
- There’s a gap in the story or the narrative: The homeowner can’t plug that gap in with the info you gave them, so they make it up on their own. When they do, they usually assume you don’t care or you don’t know what you’re talking about.
We can fix this pretty simply by ALWAYS asking these questions before we go in for the close:
- Do you have any questions?
- Does all of this make sense?
Then, we want to make sure that we explain the entire process in our presentation (and I teach you how to do all of that in my Roofing Sales Success Formula & Complete Sales Strategy).
So, now I want you to:
- Take this information and look back reflectively because sales is applied psychology.
- Consider the last few appointments you’ve had where this type of hesitation has come up.
- Carefully think about whether you pulled out all of their questions and objections BEFORE going for the close.
- Think about whether you really explained the entire process or whether you may have short-changed that homeowner and only explained the parts you thought they needed to hear.
That type of reflection is the BEST way to learn in roofing sales because now:
- You can create an action plan.
- You can lay out exactly what you’re going to do on your next sales appointment.
Get More Roofing Sales Strategies, Scripts, Tips & Videos
If you want more on any door-to-door roofing sales topic, you’ll find it in my all-in-one sales training, sales strategy, and sales system, the Roofing Sales Success Formula & Complete Sales Strategy.
This exclusive program covers everything from knock to close, with packages for individual roofing sales reps and entire teams. Many roofing sales companies LOVE this program because it’s a consistent process to train everybody on a relatable sales system that WORKS and that’s a lightning-fast way to get results.
If you have questions, just call or text (303) 222-7133 for more info or a private demo.
You can also subscribe for the latest roofing sales training videos and/or get a copy of my Pitch Like a Pro roofing sales training video library. It includes every roofing sales video I’ve ever done, organized by category, along with a bunch of tips, tricks, and more. It’s great for new people and seasoned veterans, and it’s updated all the time to help you and your team smash your income goals and give every customer an amazing experience.
And don’t forget to check out my Marketing Battle Pack for instant access to 70+ pieces of my proven, turnkey roofing sales and marketing materials. It’s an entire suite, specially designed for sales teams, managers, and owners, providing:
- Direct Mail Letters
- Door Hangers
- Goal Projection Planners
- A LOT more!
It’s affordably priced and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. There’s also a playlist of instructional videos in there, explaining every single thing. So, you can watch the videos, and you’ll know exactly what to do.
Thanks for joining me, and I look forward to sharing more with you in the next blog.