Welcome to the “Try Not to Laugh” Challenge for door-to-door roofing sales.
This is inspired by those try-not-to-laugh challenge videos on YouTube (like Fail Army and other channels); I love watching those.
So, I want to bring this concept into roofing sales, showing you how to use it at the front door to help you ink more deals.
Now, I recently read a book called Humor Seriously, and it discussed how shoppers who are exposed to humor in the buying process:
- Spent 18% MORE money
- Rated people with a higher level of trust
- Felt GOOD about it
That means your homeowners can spend more money with you, trust you more, and then enjoy it so much that they tell their friends and their family because humor is powerful.
So, I want to give you this Try Not to Laugh Challenge that you can use immediately, starting today.
Before we get into it, though, I first want to say a quick welcome or welcome back. Adam Bensman here, The Roof Strategist. Everything I do here — and on my YouTube channel — is designed to help you and your team smash your income goals and give every customer an amazing experience.
In my opinion, an amazing experience starts right away, from the moment you make that very FIRST impression.
So, I’m going to teach you how to make GREAT first impressions with this Try Not to Laugh Challenge. You can start using it instantly to help you:
- Ink more deals.
- Get paid more money.
- Get more referrals.
Now, let’s get started.
FREE “Pitch” Like a Pro Roofing Sales Training
240+ Video Library for Storm and Retail
For Roofing Sales Reps & Owners With New Hires: All the training you need to be a “million dollar” closer!Get Instant Access
Groundwork: The Power of Humor in Sales
In door-to-door roofing sales, we can go through slumps. It’s NOT always easy, exciting, or fun. In fact, sometimes, we need to muster up the courage and the motivation to go out and start hitting some doors.
Humor can help here — A LOT. So, first, let’s lay out the groundwork:
- Humor can connect us: Whenever we laugh, our brain releases oxytocin. That’s the love hormone that we exchange when we’re making love or we’re having a baby. So, it’s a bonding hormone, and we exchange that when we laugh.
- Laughter can be a form of agreement: When you hear a joke you don’t like, maybe it offended you, for instance, you don’t laugh, right? That’s basically saying “No, that wasn’t funny to me.” On the other hand, when you are in stitches, laughing or even just giving the slightest smirk, you agree with the joke or the person who made it. So, that laugh or smile can be your very first “yes” without anyone having to articulate it.
That’s why humor can be so incredibly effective in sales, and we’re going to translate this into the Try Not to Laugh Challenge, so you can use it to your advantage in door-to-door roofing sales.
How the “Try Not to Laugh” Challenge Works
Here’s how to give the Try Not to Laugh Challenge a try the next time you’re out knocking on doors. To get started:
- Knock on a door and take a step back.
- Smile and say, “Hey, I’m just in the neighborhood collecting high fives for smiles.”
- Step up to the door, holding your smile and holding up your hand for a high five, and see if you can get homeowners to reach out and give you a high five back.
Have you ever given a high five with a frown?
In fact, there’s a connection that happens when our palms connect with someone else’s — we tend to smile automatically because we just can’t help it. We start smiling as that clap happens.
So, imagine starting that conversation at the door with this Try Not to Laugh Challenge, and then:
- You say, “Hey, I’m just in the neighborhood collecting high fives for smiles,” and you go in for it.
- When someone gives you that high five, you can say, “I’m just joking. The reason I’m stopping by is…”
- You go into your SLAP Formula.
When you start using this Try Not to Laugh Challenge:
- Some homeowners WILL laugh with you.
- That laugh will give you the first, “yes.”
- You WILL have broken the ice in a friendly way.
- You’ve differentiated yourself.
- You’ve brought some humor in, and now, they’re going to be receptive to hearing you out.
So, are you up for the Try Not to Laugh Challenge?
Give it a try and tell me how it goes! Share your experience in the comments on this video — and get out there to collect those hive fives!
That icebreaker can get homeowners wanting to spend ~18% more time with you while trusting you more and enjoying the overall experience more.
I can’t wait to hear how this works for you!
Want More Roofing Sales? Or Training For Your Team?
We’ve helped thousands of sales reps overcome the same sales challenges you’re probably facing. Like not getting enough leads, getting stuck on objections, or not closing sales in the house.
Learn how we can help you:
- Get trained up in a lightning-fast 9.5 hours
- Self-generate more leads
- Become a confident closer
Or use the links below to get instant access, 100% Risk Free! Backed by our 30-Day ‘NO BS’ Money Back Guarantee.
Thanks for joining me, and I look forward to sharing more with you in the next blog.